Supreme Mashed Potatoes
Check out this recipe as a side dish for Thanksgiving. The potatoes, carrots and garlic can be found at the farmers market. Of course this recipe is adaptable if your prefer to make it vegetarian or vegan, replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth and the butter with the vegetable fat of your choice. When you use the cooking water to thin the potatoes, it adds additional flavor and nutrients. The Downtown Marquette Farmers Market will be stocked full of feast preparation food and table decorations, hostess gifts and much more. See you Saturday at the market.
Prep time: 55 minutes Makes 10 servings 3/4 cup per serving
6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
1. Combine potatoes and carrots in large pot. Filled with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes
2. Add garlic and reduce hat to simmer until vegetables are tender about 35 minutes
3. Drain pot and keep 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
4. Mash potatoes, carrots, garlic with a hand masher.
5. In a small pan, heat chicken broth and butter over medium hear until butter melts.
6. Slowly stir broth mixture into the mashed potatoes.
7. If necessary, ad the reserved cooking liquid until potatoes reach the desired thinness. Serve hot.
Nutrition information per serving: Calories 216, Carbohydrates 27 g, Dietary Fiver: 4 g, Protein 25 g, Total Fat 2 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 26 mg, Sodium 544 mg.
Adapted from: Soulful Recipes: Building Healthy Tradition, Network for a Healthy California, 2008. Michigan Harvest of the Month, Michigan Nutrition Network ™ at Michigan Fitness Foundation.